Dinner Time

Our oldest whines when I tell her that we were sitting at the kitchen table to enjoy dinner together. Most days she spends her evenings hunkered down in her minuscule bedroom, sitting on the floor in front of her computer. Between Skyping with friends and stalking people on Instagram she sets aside brief moments for homework while her dinner plates balances on her lap. Life for her is perfect that way.

Our dinner table can be boisterous at times. The dogs relentlessly beg for food while our 15 year old entertains the little boys with his silly faces and fun food facts. My husband and I try, often times we fail, keeping peace, laughter, and outrageous antics to a minimum. Dinnertime should be sacred. Dinner time is sacred.

Our daughter despises dinner time when craziness results. I don't blame her. I remind her that sitting around the dinner table results in family bonding and assure her that her dad and I will make sure that our time together is peaceful.

After dolling out mounds of whatever I am able to concoct between 5 and 6:00 in the evening, we share our highs and lows for the day. This time comes with no interruption. The children choose at random a high and a low for the day. Although most of the lows revert to homework or an unfortunate event on the playground, I cherish this time and I pray that our children cherish this time too.

As a family, we don't always have the opportunity to sit together for dinner however, I realize the importance of never giving up on this event. And, I am the first to admit that I enjoy the simplicity of pulling out TV trays and turning on the television to a raucous wrestling match. At least I'm honest.

What does your family like to talk about around the dinner table?

Comments

Angeli said…
I'm still waiting for the time when my kids will actually sit still at the table before running away after 2 bites. They are mostly preschoolers.
Angeli said…
Congratulations! I nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award :) Your blog is wonderful and you deserve some recognition! Click on over to my blog to see how your blog has been showcased and awarded.

http://littledesignangel.blogspot.com/2012/04/im-liebster-blog.html

:) -Angeli-