Stay Standing


I am not very good at sitting. My first career as a food server and then post college graduation as a teacher caused me to do a lot of standing. I got used to standing. I like standing.

Having a job for the last three years where I all do is sit has taken some adjustment. For the first two years I kept trying to think of ways I could stand while working on my computer. I had aches and pains from sitting. Daily laps around the office helped my situation but brought no cure. My body has now grown accustomed to sitting, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy it.

Since my son is sick with strep throat, he wants me to sit with him and do nothing. the mundane shows he watches on television while he waits for his fever to pass can make me a little crazy in the head. Even when I bring magazines to thumb though I wiggle and cannot get comfortable. I then begin humming theme songs from the shows I find so mind numbing. Can it get worse?

My daughter is fantastic at sitting. She hates anything which requires movement. She can sit on an international flight for hours without complaining. Or escape to her bedroom for days. I would embarrass myself on an international flight. Impatience, and hating to sit, do not get along very well.

The verse found in Matthew 11:28 keeps popping up around me, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." I think that God is trying to tell me something. I need to appreciate, and take advantage of, the sitting. For it is in the sitting where, "My soul finds rest."

It takes me a while but I eventually get it, and God just waits. Thanks for waiting God. I apologize for being so slow.

Comments