Attitude of Gratitude

I’m trying to be more thankful.

I’m trying to be consistently thankful every day and not just on or near the Thanksgiving holiday.

Last week our pastor challenged us to wake up and tell God about five things for which we are thankful, other than the common stuff like family and health. Although I haven’t been consistent with doing this I have made a grand effort. This is a great way for me to start the morning.

In addition to starting our day with thankfulness our pastor also challenged us to be thankful in our situations and not for our situations as a way to defeat Satan. I considered this the other morning, at 4:00 a.m. to be exact, as I was forced to the middle of my bed, paralyzed into a pretzel shape. I had my husband on one side of me and my six year old on the other.

My six year old boy has a bed of his own. His bed is comfortable and warm. His bed has enough room for his body, and more. His bed is in his room. There is nothing wrong with my son’s bed.

Nothing.

For the last few days, between the hours of 3:00 and 5:00 a.m. my son has drug his blanket and pillow into our room and crawled into my side of the bed. He prefers to be spooned until the time comes for my husband and me to get out of bed and begin our day. Spooning for hours hurts. My shoulder and legs cramp and my back muscles slip into knots. Since I am too tired to get out of bed and return my son to his own bed, I lie in one position, awake and frustrated.

This one particular evening was no different, however, this time as I was drifting in and out of sleep while trying to find a comfortable position, I thanked God. I thanked Him for the fact that my boy has the ability to walk to my room, and can crawl up into bed with me and fall asleep. I thanked God for his deep breathing and his full functioning brain. I thanked God for the fact that I can carry him back to his own bed without him throwing fits. After I did this I felt better, not so angry, although my back was still cramping.

The next morning I was tired. I asked him for the third night in a row, why he came into my bed and asked him why he doesn’t stay in his own bed.

“I like to be next to you” and “I just miss you so much” were his two best excuses for waking me up for spooning. Although his sappy excuses were just a cover up to keep me from asking any more questions—I thanked God for that, too.

“Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Comments

Tricia said…
Cherish these moments. He won't always come to you in the middle of the night and then you will miss them and wonder why you didn't make the most of them while you had the chance.
Anonymous said…
I have one that does the exact same thing. I love what you are doing. Great post
Anonymous said…
Brim over I agree but I dream the collection should have more info then it has.