Running Reds

"Sixty percent of fatal intersection crashes are caused by yellow and red light runners T-boning left turners and green light jump starters." (http://roadrules.ca/?cat=33) I knew the rate had to be high since I am a witness to red light runners and stop sign sliders all the time. I am amazed at the amount of people who turn right on a red without stopping, or those who cut off my jog because the are turning left on an arrow which has already turned red. There are never any police offers around to catch the law breakers.

I assume that people are in such a hurry that they have deemed themselves in charge of when they can go through an intersection and not some glaring signal. Admittedly, I have pushed through an orange light; however, after reading some staggering statistics, I am going to follow the law more closely.

I rarely witness drivers making a complete stop at a stop sign either. There used to be a joke in my husbands family that S-T-O-P stood for "softly tap on pedal" and last time I had to endure eight hours in traffic school someone asked how long you had to stop at a stop sign. The teacher simply stated, "You have to make a complete stop." Folks in my town, roll through stop signs and I am always aghast by those who barely slow down. As if the stop sign is so inconvenient.

It is no wonder why there were over 43,000 fatalities in the US from car crashes last year and that car crashes are the number one killer among teens, not drugs, car collisions. Yikes! At the moment, my almost sixteen year old daughter has no desire to drive. Although it is a bit inconvenient for me, I'm in no hurry for her to drive either. She told me that she doesn't feel confident yet. It is no wonder, with all the crazy drivers.

Just recently, I began to slow down while approaching a red light, as it turned green I sped up until I saw a car running a red, left hand turn signal which caused me to stop. This happened twice in one week.

I'm not perfect. I had my fair share of red light running, mostly accidental of course. We all need to slow down and not be in such a hurry that we have to run red lights, unless of course, it is three in the morning and there are no cars for miles, then you have my permission to go through the red.

Comments