A Worthwhile Boycott

When I was a teacher, I rarely assigned homework. It was only if an assignment was started in class, and never finished, that homework was required. Some parents were concerned with the fact that their children didn't have extra practice when they returned home, and most of the parents breathed a sigh of relief when I told them that aside from studying for upcoming tests, homework would not be given to their children.

The very last thing that kids want to do after spending six hours in a classroom is return home to spend another 30 minutes, to hours, on more school work, and the last thing that parents want to do after working a full day is to come home and do homework with children.

Evenings should be spent hanging out around the dinner table telling about your day, and reading books on bed tops, while eyes grow droopy and limbs relax.

The other night I went from helping my eight year old understand the process of number patterns, to giving my daughter insight on how to compose a personal composition essay, hand written, and five paragraphs long. Next, while my husband quizzed my son on Bible vocabulary, I read "Hop on Pop" with my six year old. That's called diversity in homework.

I am not a fan of homework, however, I am a fan of settling down after a long day and relaxing.

I should let the teachers know. We are considering a homework boycott in our home. Hopefully they will understand and no consequences will ensue.

If only...

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
i WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree. seriously.

but then again, i only have one doing homework.

my time will come, though.

spelling tests and bible verses are enough, right?