First and Last

Contrary to volume one of “Cycling Etiquette A-Z,” bicyclists do not own the road. I have nothing against cyclist I just appreciate when they share the road with me, a jogger or me, a driver. Often times I find myself darting out of the way of cyclist while I jog and as they zip past as if they have a higher mission than I do. I like to take my time. Eleven minute miles are my friends.

Other than the fact that most cyclists that I see wear tight clothes, I am amazed at how they spend hours sitting on such a tiny seat, hunched over their handlebars equipped with no protection from the open road and speeds nearing 40 mph. other than a plastic helmet.

I prefer top speeds of three mph. a five foot nine inch drop in any direction, and my only equipment being running shoes. I’m simple.

I cannot help but notice that when I see small, medium, or large groups of cyclist, talking up the bike lane and parts of the traffic lane, it seems like the bikes are rarely single file. Most of the time they are double wide, and in some cases, triple and quadruple wide. It also seems that they are all vying for the position at the front of the pack and so, no one wants to back down and allow one person to take the lead.

The same is true in elementary school classrooms. Students cannot wait until their classroom job involves leading the classroom on trips to the library and playground as official line leader, with all of the peon children following behind. Line leaders have attitude. Being in the front of the line gives them power and insinuates that they are better than the rest of the children who must follow close behind. Unfortunately the power only lasts for one week, then someone else is appointed leader and a power shift proceeds.

Jesus never wanted to be first. He never wanted to be the line leader. Jesus wanted to be last. He instructed His followers to let others go ahead as an act of servant hood, contrary to what culture instructs.

Jesus was last to get his food, last to go to bed, last to sit and watch television after cleaning up after dinner, last to come inside after cleaning up the backyard after a party, last in line at the grocery store, and last to put up chairs after a church service.

“But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.” Matthew 19:30 New Living Translation

Being last is hard, but has eternal rewards.
I need to learn to be last more often.

Comments

Love it, Linda. The other night, a bicyclist asked me to get off the sidewalk so that she could ride by. ?? Side WALK. I did get the deeper message in your post, too!