Mission Accomplished

“God wants to use you.” ~Rick Warren

I always felt like something was wrong with me if I didn’t want to go on a mission trip to another county. I felt like I was unique if I didn’t get goose bumps when other people approached me about traveling to Africa or India to help the hurting.

I once took a trip to Mexicali with high school students. We only showered three times in one week and had to use bottled water for everything. The outhouses overflowed by the week’s end, and the dirt, mud, and asphalt were in all places grass should be.

Although I enjoyed my time with teenagers and teaching Bible stories to the children of Mexico, I never returned to Mexicali. I realized that I loved working with teenagers, and continued as a volunteer in youth ministry for 12 years, but I didn’t love being in another county doing mission work. My mission field was freshmen girls who were trying to find their place in the high school scene while growing deeper in a relationship with Jesus. However, it took years for me to realize that high school students were my mission field. I didn’t need to go to another country.

As I have gotten older my passion has changed. I still have a strong desire to be used by God by ministering to and serving others, however, I now have a passion for moms. Moms are my mission field. I have a deep desire to assist them in making a spiritual connection, encouraging them, and helping them realize that they aren’t alone in their frustrations and struggles of motherhood and life.

God may change my heart in regards to traveling to another county, and I am open to whatever His desire is for my life, but for now, God has called me to help women.
What is your mission field? Do you have a heart for serving the people of China? Do you have a passion for assisting destitute families in local motels? Do you enjoy conversations in retirement homes or playing games with disabled children? Is talking with teenagers your gift?

We all have a passion that God is waiting to use for His glory. Are you willing to allow God to use you?

“In the same way that you gave me a mission in the world, I give them a mission in the world.” ~Jesus
John 17:18 (Message)

Comments