Get a Room

I have trouble understanding how people can fall asleep anywhere besides their bed, their couch, a hotel room, or a home they are visiting.

I recently took a small trip, an one hour plane ride, and was amazed at the fact that so many people were asleep on the plane. I understand flying to Australia and falling asleep at some point, but a one hour plane ride at 9:00 a.m. has me questioning whether or not those people have:
1. no other place to sleep
2. not slept in 48 hours
3. twelve small children that climb into bed with them on a regular basis
4. sleep apnea
5. insomnia that suddenly shuts off at 9:00 a.m.
6. to fake sleep so that strangers won't talk with them

The other day I was meeting someone for coffee at Starbucks. It was a Friday, at 2:30 in the afternoon. I sauntered outdoors in hopes of locating a table on the patio. As I exited the building I immediately noticed a thirty something man, sitting upright on the outdoor couch. His hair was shaped into a faux-hawk (fake mohawk) and he was wearing expensive sunglasses. He was dressed in a button down, long sleeved shirt and had on slacks and nice shoes. He appeared to be taking a short break from his work day.

At first glance I thought that his head, tilted back toward the sun, was his attempt to catch some sun rays before returning to his position on the sales floor, however, his wide open mouth and bellowing snores indicated that he was napping. His snoring was so loud that people were looking at him, embarrassed for him and his position.

His pack of cigarettes were close by along with his lighter, and an empty coffee cup sat near him as well. Evidently the caffeine had absolutely no affect on his sleep deprivation or couldn't compete with his previous night of after work happy hour turned "Where am I an how did I end up here and who is Lee Ann?"

As much as I need a nap and would love to be able to take advantage of a siesta each day, it never happens. Only on very rare occasions when I am sick or pregnant, can I even take a nap in my own bed, and even then, I need ear plugs and a table fan blasting cool air for the "white noise" aspect and hot air deterrent.

I guess I will just have to continue to wonder how it is that some folks can fall asleep anywhere and continue to rely heavily on my mid day coffee consumption to keep my brain on alert.

Comments

Lisa said…
my boyfriend and i had this very conversation the other day. he falls asleep on the couch DAILY!

it drives me nuts.

also ... i'm jealous that you have nice enough weather to have an outdoor couch at your starbucks.

we have outdoor wrought iron tables & chairs.

hard ... and not very 'inviting.'
Oh, I can so relate to this. I do not nap well, especially on airplaines. Even when I flew around the world and drugged myself with Tylenol PM and Benadryl and my co-horts were sleeping, I did not sleep. I think more men than women can fall asleep faster, don't you?