Super Nanny


I love watching Super Nanny. I still watch the old episodes because I have not seen all of them during the regular season. Every time I watch, and my 12 year old son usually watches with me, I cry. I don't sob so that he turns and asks, "What's wrong mom?" but I get a lump in my throat and force back the tears.

I do not cry because I am sentimental or sad, I cry because I can relate, with every bone in my body.

I relate to the fact that parenting is gosh darn hard. I relate to crayon marks on the walls of the homes. I relate to being lazy and letting someone stay up late. I relate to not being so fun at home all of the time because I am too tired or would rather do something else than sit and watch Oswald.

I relate to crying because disciplining children is a lot of work. I relate to my husband and I needing more alone time. I relate to not following through on rules or disciplinary threats. I relate to kids that don't eat everything you put on their plates.

I get it. I can relate.

My kids don't hit me when I ask them to do something and generally stay on their "spot" for a time out instead of wandering away seventeen times like the kids on television. My kids are great about going to bed, staying in bed, and sleeping in their own beds, and for that I am grateful. My kids don't throw food or smear marker colors on the hallway walls, but they do have their moments when the chaos is overwhelming. They shout, argue, and disagree on a regular occasion.

Being a mom is tough. Being a good mom is tougher. Being a good mom, wife, sister, daughter, friend, and co-worker is nearly impossible - without God. How do people function without God? For me, it is impossible.

I get the stress and frustration. I feel for moms all over the world. I know how hard it can be. That's why I cry.

Comments

Eve said…
I loved your post and I GET IT too!
Brad Huebert said…
Amen, sista.

Some days I watch and think, "Hey, I need this."

Other days, I watch and think, "Hey, ____________ should watch this."

Still other days, I just sigh.
Amy said…
Oh, woman, I can relate! I spent all day yesterday horseback riding with my daughter, treating her to lunch, then watching a movie together. Today, when I told her I didn't have time to help her move her clothes from the stairs to her room, she cried and said to Daddy, "Mom's always too busy to be with me!"

A mommy just can't win.
At our support staff retreat, we spent a lot of time talking about balance in professional and personal lives. I really struggle with letting go of some things to get other things, the more important, done.