Secrets


My youngest was unable to fall asleep quickly last night. He claimed that he was too hot even though he had a oscillating fan blowing on his body, and the air conditioner was on. He is brilliant at excuses.

I knew that my boy was tired, and I also knew that he was going to need an extra 10 minutes of tickling to settle down his manic brain.

When ever he gets wound up, like he was last night, he will stop me in the dark of his bedroom, and ask me some random question which often pertains to something he heard or witnessed earlier in the day which I have completely forgotten about. If he sees a "lost dog" sign, he will ask what I think happened to the dog or if I think that the people found the dog yet. If he has been with friends, he will often tell me something that happened at their house that is generally uneventfully, but needed to be shared.

Last night he crept out of his bedroom just seconds after I had given him some water, prayed with him, tickled his back, and fixed his blankie perfectly over his body. I ushered him back to bed and told him that he needs to stay in bed. After a few minutes he started in with a story.

"When I was at [a neighbor's] house [their mom] said that they are not allowed tell any secrets in their house. What does that mean?"

I tried to explain to no avail. He kept on with questions until he was almost wide awake again. I had to tickle his back for a full fifteen minutes until he stopped wiggling and question asking.

As for our house, we do have some secrets. For instance, I doubt that the neighbors are aware that I can perform a better head stand than my biggest boy, that I brush my teeth in the shower, or that I have a set of dumbbells under my bed in case of a home invasion. Of course, those are my little secrets, unless they read this blog post, then my secret will be revealed.

Comments

If the invader comes into your room, he's probably going to want to challenge you to a "lift off" competition using your weights. I think you had better bulk up.
Sarah Markley said…
i am with you on the teeth brushing. and i like the dumbell idea.