One Syllable Too Many


Apparently I have the uncanny ability to cuss in Spanish. Actually I can cuss and "talk dirty" just with one syllable. "America's Got Talent" here I come.

I was out for a "Girl's Night Out" with some, well, girls, and we were visiting a local Mexican restaurant. I knew exactly what I wanted to order, but I was late arriving, and the menus had already been taken away.

I knew that I wanted chimichangas, and I knew that on their menu they were in the appetizer section. I also knew that they are smaller than your typical chimichanga. With all of my Spanish speaking expertise I knew that for all things smaller than normal you add a "ita" at the end of the word. For instance, chiquita, is a small or young girl. I think.

Since I was ordering small chimichangas, I placed my order, yet put a "ga" and a "dita" or something that made the waiter's face turn bright red. According to my girlfriend I ordered a small amount of dirty "love making" and a lot of it. Oops.

I was mortified and tried to apologize to the waiter but he took off away from our table at lightning speed. I imagine that he could wait to rush back to the kitchen and tell his coworkers about my extra syllables and dirty mouth. They were probably having a good laugh at my expense.

From now on I will not try to speak any Spanish. It just gets me into trouble.

Comments

Eve said…
I'm still laughing!! That was a good one.
Denise said…
i'm in the same non-spanish speaking boat.
some years ago a hispanic friend told me that "yo no soy marinaro" means i am not a millionare (oh these are lyrics from labumba)... i found out the hard way (longer story) that it means "i'm not a sailor."

all that to say unless "you quero taco bell" don't ask me to help with your el spanisho.

btw-i hope you are enjoying your new job.
Jodie Howerton said…
This is hilarious....nice work. As a Spanish speaker, I wish I could have been there....I'm sure the waiter had a good time telling that story to his family...
Brad Huebert said…
Oh man, that's funny.
I must tell my Spanish-minoring daughter about this. She will enjoy.