Nothing Sacred

My bedroom used to be semi-sacred. Not that I lock the door when I exit and use a special key to enter, but I like to fool myself into thinking that there are enough other rooms in the house to accommodate people that everyone does not need to be in my room. I don’t consider it an extension to our living room, but evidently I don’t know much.

The other day I came home and found not only three of my children huddled around the computer in my bed room, but three neighbor kids sitting on my bed watching television as if it were a public couch for use by any and all wandering bodies. My children had offered everyone snacks, how hospitable, so, in addition to bodies, those bodies were chewing food and littering my carpet with crumbs. This was no fault of the neighbor kids. There were obviously invited to relax and unwind in my bedroom.

I wasn’t pleased with the situation and thought to myself, “What is the likelihood that anyone else on my street has six children inside their bedroom?” I’m pretty sure that my bedroom is the only one within a five mile radius where children come and go as they please, bouncing on the bed, sitting in the chair, sharing snacks, and playing the computer as if the room were a family room for any and everyone. Arg!

I kicked everyone out immediately and mentioned to my own children that I would appreciate them using other rooms in the house to watch television and play the computer. I’m not too sure that I used the word, “appreciate.”

Next time I leave the house for any reason and leave a babysitter in charge, I’ll be sure to mention the fact that my bedroom is off limits. I might even decide to lock the door. However, in that case I couldn’t even get into my room. It’s a guessing game when it comes to unlocking a door with just a deep hole in the knob. I might have to resort to yellow caution tape.

Comments

Melodee said…
That happens to me, though not usually in my bedroom. But I'll find a room full of kids--NOT MY OWN--playing my computers and video games. I'm just glad that most of them don't help themselves to snacks. There are a dozen boys between the ages of 8 and 15 on my street and they all seem to be at my house half the time.

I have been known to say, "I AM NOT RUNNING A YOUTH CENTER. IF YOU DON'T LIVE HERE, GO HOME!"
Sarah Markley said…
so sorry. and kids are smelly and dirty in the afternoon, too.

i don't even let my own kids on my bed until they've had a bath!! =)

you are too funny, linda
Jodie Howerton said…
We are also the magnet house that attracts kids on our block......when they leave I have to clean up for 2 days...yesterday I found a snorkel in the pantry...Seriously? Do my kids leave snorkels in other people's pantries?