Normalacy Resumes Sunday


The hub bub around work is amazing. News channels litter the streets, signs are strategically placed informing media and visitors where to go, trees are being hoisted and lifted into place, hundreds of flowers sit in plastic pots ready to be planted, and people in the office have one thing on their minds - Saddleback's Civic Forum.

I started this job on Monday just 5 days prior to the biggest event in our church's history. The noise is exciting even though I have no specific role other than to attend the event wearing business attire and arrive two hours before "air time." I have strict instructions to not stand up and shout political slurs or protest any opinions using a cow bell and tambourine. Those get checked in at the security center.

"This is a historical event!" I told my husband when I received the tickets last night. "We need to be a part of this!" Although he said he was excited, his facial features gave me no clue.

My enthusiasm slumped as the night grew older and my worry kicked in. "Is anyone going to blow up the worship center while we are inside? Will there be plenty of security to make sure that no assassins arrive and sit behind us?"

My husband was reassuring and confidant that the Civic Forum would be well secured. The would be assassins instead will be convinced to give their life to Christ.

I am proud of my pastor and church. I'm excited to be a part of this event. My husband and I have been members of Saddleback for sixteen years and have seen it grow and change each year. I worked at Saddleback when it was just me and 20 other people in and around the office. I was there before press releases and news media. To me is is still my little church.

I am thrilled to be part of a team advancing the kingdom of God. I love going to work at a place where worship is led prior to the staff meetings, however, I'm tired. My body and family have yet to get into a groove where mom five days a week and is off work on Saturday and Monday.

Trust me though, my energy will have a resounding come back tonight while I anticipate sitting face to face, okay, with a few thousand chairs between us, with the two presidential candidates, and my pastor.

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
crazy. seriously crazy. i can't wait to hear about it!!
Amy said…
I'm so excited for you! Thank you for the reminder, too... I have it Tivo-ed.
Brad Huebert said…
Wow, that's amazing Linda. Just remember not to pick your nose if the camera is on you.
Denise said…
i looked for you (from my couch), but i did not see you.

i am so thankful for the questions asked, and for more insight into the candidates.

it's hard to imagine that saddleback was ever that small.