How Soon We Forget

My seven year old has a problem. He has an unappeasable appetite for doing everything that his brother does. His brother is twelve.

My seven year old had a spectacular day. After hanging out with his two best friends at VBS, and having a blast, we drove through McDonald's for a healthy round of chicken nuggets and french fries. (side note: McDonald's no longer offers ranch dressing with the nuggets. You have to pay $.27 if you want ranch dressing. I purchased 12 pieces of chicken and could not get one single ranch dressing. The manager agreed that it was a dumb rule, but none the less a rule. The cashier guy stuck two in my bag when the manager left. Good boy.)

After lunch we went to Toys R Us. Hold your applause, it gets even better. My middle mister and his big brother put their money together to purchase a new Wii game, Power Pros 2008. My littlest mister had a five dollar bill that was creating a disturbance in his pocket so he purchased a cap gun. It was $.50. With that price tag, I agreed to buy the other two boys a cap gun. Generous, hunh?

To enhance an already wonderful day, my middle mister came home from the toy store and played several rounds on the Wii with his big brother, and shot off two rounds with the cap gun. Two of my biggest mister's friends came over for dinner and played with the boys past dark. No seven year old should have that much fun.

One of the moms, took all of the big boys, and my middle mister to Target and then on the way home bought everyone a Frostie at Wendy's. Can you say spectacular day with big boys?

It just wasn't enough. When my twelve year old got invited to spend the night at one of the friend's homes, my seven year old cried because he could not go along with them. The entire day, and all of it's glory, was lost to one sad moment in a pool filled to the brim with great moments.

"Did you already forget all the great things that you got to do today just because you couldn't spend the night Zack's friend's house?" My husband questioned.

What a lesson.

Do I focus on the trial so much that I lose sight of God's blessing within the trial? Do I get hung up on the bad moments and forget about the pool filled, brimming with great moments? Don't I get frustrated about the sticky lessons life throws and ignore the sweet victories which God so graciously provides? Yes, yes I do. However, I will try harder now, to savor the good and to not forget. After all, I'm not seven. I just act like it every once in a while.

How great is our God? Pretty great.

Comments