Life's a Beach

The beach was spectacular yesterday. Pristine. The kids romped and played for seven minutes until the complaining began:

"The water is too cold. It is always cold!"
[enter tears here] "The sand is all over my legs and it won't come off."
"There are no good rocks to climb."
"I cut my toe on a shell!"
"When can we leave?"

It is difficult, trying to entertain a five through fourteen year old and I thought that this gorgeous beach would be the cure to sitting at home. It saddens me that my children are so used to going to the beach that it has become passe and dull.

I ignored their complaints and settled into my chair with a magazine. My daughter and her girlfriend sat under an umbrella listening to their ipods and plucking away at their mobile phones. What happened to old fashioned conversation?

We merged from the beach to the pool and all seemed to be happy, until the five year old fell backward out of the lounge chair scraping his shoulder, knee, and elbow, and tearfully announced, "I just want to go home."

I was able to keep everyone quasai happy and fed until we left at 3:45. Next time I am getting a babysitter, and going to the beach alone. I love the beach.

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
i don't think i have every been to the beach by myself. at least not that i can remember...
ayates said…
let me know when you go by yourself and I will come too. I promise not to whine. I won't even talk to you if that would make you invite me. I LOVE the beach!