House of Boredom

I bother myself. Some of things that come out of my mouth are dumb. I say things, and then moments later think to myself, "Why did I say that?"

My oldest mister had slept over a friends house the other day. With the addition of another boy, there were three boys total. In the morning when I went to pick up my son he pleaded with me to allow the boys to come to our house. With four children already meandering through the crevasses of my home, adding two more feels like a circus.

"Out house is boring." What mothers says that out loud to three boys waiting for your reply? Evidently this mother. I was attempting to turn off the two boys and remind my son of the fact that our house offers nothing out of the ordinary in which eleven year old boys can indulge their senses.

"No it isn't" my son replied, "We have Wii!" Acquiring a Wii system came only two weeks ago, and frankly I didn't think that having a Wii sysytem set our home in the "More fun than fun" catagory.

Until recently, we had nothing. We have no pool, no video games, no ping-pong table, no Foosball game, we don't even have a big television. Our Slip and Slide tore, our backyard offers nothing but grass, and we have no creek running alongside our neighborhood bustling with frogs and lizard needing to be captured.

It bothers me that my vision is so askew. In my mind I feel like boys need constant entertainment in order to consider visiting someones house.

As it turns out, the boys didn't want to leave our house. They enjoyed the Wii game, played with airsoft guns, hit wiffle balls in the front yard, drank homemade smoothies, and snacked on an array of offerings.

I need to keep reminding myself that it is not about what we have, or don't have to offer, it is about what we do with what we have to offer.

May I be ever grateful for all that we have to offer to anyone who wants to come and visit. Thanks God!

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
i don't even have a wii...

my house IS boring. =)
Denise said…
i think my house is your house.

a friend came to play with me the other day and brought her 3 kids. i thought for sure they'd get bored (as our slip n slide tore as well), but they enjoyed their time together, as my friend and i hogged the wii.