Disclaimer


There is no better fruit than summer fruit. We have had a steady flow of white nectarines, white peaches, plums, strawberries, and watermelon in our refrigerator and on our kitchen counter.

I had mentioned before my peeve with "seedless" watermelon. I don't like to pick white seeds out of a watermelon that is supposed to be seedless, nor do I like eating small, flimsy, white seeds during my watermelon chewing. From what I understand, seedless means: free from any and all seeds. No?

In the age of millions of disclaimers; "Caution, hot coffee may be extremely hot," "This peanut butter contains peanuts," and "Eating this Big Mac every day for every meal may cause weight gain" (I made that one up) I laughed as I was purchasing my bagillionith watermelon from Costco. The little sticker slapped onto the seedless green blob not only gave the cashier the code to type into the computer, but also had this disclaimer: "May contain an occasional seed."

I guess that I'm not the only one who believes that seedless watermelon should, well, have no seeds. Someone, somewhere evidently complained. At least now I know.

Dear Mr. Executive at Kandy Watermelon company,
Thanks for the warning.

Comments

Na said…
haha. I still haven't converted to Costco, but am willing. I've heard good things. Is there anything you can't get there?
Geez. I kinda like the white seeds.