Cleanliness


I do love a clean house, although the pine scent doesn't last long. I know deep down that I cleaned my house and that for the next day it will remain clean.

Everything shines in my kitchen. I have buffed away the fingerprints from the appliance surfaces and now cringe each time a child opens the refrigerator for fear they will leave smudges. I know, it is a sickness.

My black stove glistens after three rounds of soap and water, followed by a drying. For the next week I will not be doing any cooking. I don't want to get my stove top dirty. I think that is reasonable.

While I was running errands the other day, my husband decided to make lunch for the kids and needed to use the stove. When I came home there was salt sprinkled over my previously sparkling stove top. I growled at my husband. Since he too loves a clean stove he suggested that I pull out the vacuum and suck up the salt from the surface of the stove. It worked, however, I need help. My obsessive cleaning is sad, and scares people. I don't want people to be scared, so I am coming - clean.

Today I have decided to let go of my impulse to following the kids around with broom and dust pan. It exerts too much energy. Today, anything goes, and I am just going to have to deal with a small, bit of a mess.

Really, though, I'm not that bad. I have exaggeration tendencies.

Comments

Terri said…
If you come to my house, I will encourage your obsessiveness. Really, it will be okay.
Sarah Markley said…
i know. i hate it when i clean and my husband messes it up. My friend calls it Museum Night. When its all clean (before it gets messed up again) light candles and don't let anyone touch anything (just for one night).
Na said…
My husband gets that way about the floors. I get that way about things when i finally clean and everything is in it's place.
I really relate to this, although it's loosening its grip on me. I literally get grouchy when the house is dirty. Soon all of mine will be grown and out, though, and then I'll have it as clean as I want. So for now, I'm trying to be reasonable about it.