Camp

Back in the day, I used to drive my daughter to church the day of her camp departure, and chat with friends while she boarded the bus and anticipated leaving for a week with no brothers. I would wave good-bye as the bus drove away and slowly walk back to my car praying that she found a seat next to a friend, and that she would make great choices and have plenty to do on her week away from home.

This is her sixth year of camp. This year she is going to attend high school summer camp at Hume Lake. Four buses were boarding students for camp this morning in the church parking lot. In addition to her group of friends, there were many kids I have never seen, big kids, seniors, men!

This time she wanted me to just drop her off. I barely got a hug good bye. She was off like lightning, meandering, finding her way. I cried as I left the parking lot. She doesn't need me. She is independent. She is in high school. I worry that she won't be okay even though I know that God is watching over her.

I rushed home to snuggle with my boys who were fighting over who got to lay next to me. They still need me, thankfully.

Comments

Cheri said…
I was looking for you and wondered why I didn't see you. I thought maybe you'd run off to NY again!
Na said…
awww. i know. i have yet to experience this..but i can imagine. what an experience being a parent is.
JenD said…
I dread this day when my own daughter doesn't need me when I take her to camp! This was her first year at church camp and I cried for 10 minutes down the road when I left. I assume I'll cry when she doesn't need me too. Thanks for sharing!
Jodie Howerton said…
She needs you! She does! I know it! Just in a different way! You should stand proud at how you have trained her to be a strong, independent young woman! You are a fabulous mother!
ayates said…
we need you. next time just stay to say hi to us. we want to see you!!!!! we love you and she does too!!!
MtnLori said…
Congrats on growing up along with your daughter. Parenthood never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for sharing.
Amy said…
This post scared me something awful. My daughter just got back from her first year of church camp, and it just about killed me! She, of course, had a ball. Is it true that someday she'll be going to camp with big, hairy, smelly men-boys? Yikes!
Denise said…
i HEART Hume Lake.
My life was saved there.