And the Beat Goes On


Songs get stuck in my head instantly. I think that something is wrong with my brain. My kids will start humming a tune and then for the rest of the afternoon I am singing the Wonder Pets theme song, or a Miley Cyrus tune. Unfortunately, I can't remember much of anything else. What gives?

My seven year old, ever since school got out, has had one song stuck in his head. He sings the song all the time. When he can't think of a conversation starter or a way to break up the dead air in the car he will just start singing.

At first I was impressed with the fact that he knew all of the words to this particular song, but now I am utterly and completely annoyed each time it erupts from his lips. He cannot stop singing our national anthem, the Star Spangled Banner. When he is trying to be funny he replaces the words with the names of his brothers and sister. This rendition sends them into a frenzy of "Knock it off!!"

Needless to say, I am always humming the Star Spangled Banner.

My other child had the privilege of opening and closing his brothers birthday card for the past ten days. When the card opens, a chorus of "Happy Birthday" comes bolting from the paper card and my youngest mister sings right along. He has since lost the card, but continues to sing "Happy Birthday" over and over again. I find myself singing the monotonous tune more often that I want to.

I wish they were singing the top twenty prepositions, algebraic formulas, most commonly used scripture verses from the New Testament, the constitution, or the rules for comma usage, some useful information I could store in my brain for another time however, I am stuck with the Star Spangled Banner, and Happy Birthday, and, if I didn't know those by heart before, I most certainly do now.

How about those rockets' red glare?

Comments

Sarah Markley said…
too funny. does he hit the high notes? do you?
Amy said…
There's a name for that. They call them "ear worms." Yuck, huh? I have the cure, though. Anytime you're stuck with an ear worm, start singing "It's a Small World." Enjoy!
Brad Huebert said…
I totally get it. For us it's Hawk Nelson's, "Bring 'em out." At least it's catchy, but they have pretty much no idea what the lyrics are.

Have a great day.