Avoidance

I often avoid doing things that appear difficult. The key word is appear.

I don't like to return phone calls to people that I may have to confront, I would rather not take the kids to get their immunizations, and I avoid projects that may take longer than the time I think will be necessary.

The two little kids were scheduled to have a dentist appointment. They were going to get a normal cleaning, and check up, free from pain and agony. Prior to the date of the appointment, they kept asking questions about the dentist, and telling me that they didn't want to go. As the day approached, I became more and more anxious.

I scheduled the appointment later in the afternoon to avoid getting them up and out of the house too early, and so as not to interrupt, too much, any play activity in which they may be involved.

When the day arrived, I knew that they would throw fits, cry, and continue to ask questions. I knew that this actual getting them to cooperate fully with going to the dentist was going to be impossible so I actually considered cancelling the appointment. Not good.

I got them them in the car without too much fuss, but to make matters more difficult, when we arrived, on time, we waited for 20 minutes. After questioning the receptionist regarding our wait time, she told me that one of the assistants had to leave and that our wait would increase by 45 minutes. More difficulty.

After one hour and five minutes of waiting, the boys did great. We sped up the wait time by purchasing donuts from a nearby store, breaking every dentist appointment rule in the book. I was desperate.

After working myself up into a frenzy, of "This is going to be difficult," it was not.

I need to get over my avoidance issues. Typically, things aren't as bad as them seem.

The dentist discovered that one child had two cavities, and the other had one very deep, cavity. This had nothing to do with the donut purchase, I'm sure.

I'm enlisting my husband for the cavity filling appointment. He has more mental toughness.

Comments