Take Me Back - Just for a Day

Last night I was setting my alarm and "How Deep is your Love" by the Bee Gees was playing. I instantly went back to seventh grade and let out a deep sigh.

Seventh grade.

Simplicity.

Sitting at the park sipping Icees and spitting out sunflower seed shells from the pile nestled in my cheek, passed time after school. Aw.

Those were some carefree days. Conversations were long, real, and centered around friends, and boys we thought were cute. We sent letters folded in triangular, origami shapes, and signed each one with TTFN and BFF written in pen instead of text.

My big kids have phones they rarely use for talking. They talk with friends via text, and Facebook comments. Sometimes they e-mail, and they never write letters.

I have recently connected with some friends from high school. We have laughed, shared photos, and reconnected, without one spoken word. It's odd. The e-mails are long, and catching up takes time, but no one talks with each other on the phone. Honestly, it feels normal in this day and age.

I hope that my children don't forget how to communicate with friends through verbal conversation. I hope they remember how to ask questions, and engage others in conversation. I hope they don't overlook the written word - using a pen.

That would be a travesty.

Comments