Backpack Blues


I had no idea that shopping for a backpack could bring so much agony. Gone are the days of grabbing a Disney themed backpack or something plain with a few fun key chains dangling from the zipper pull for added zeal.

My middle mister has spent all summer hanging out with bigger boys, my twelve year old and his friends, so he has assumed the identity of a twelve year old boy with a seven year old body. Rarely does anything that is fit for a seven year old appeal to him including Disney themed backpacks or any camouflage model from Old Navy.

While my biggest mister and his friends are going for shock value this year at school, he has opted for a "Camp Rock" backpack that will surely fall apart within the first week of school along with his "High School Musical" lunch box. Although my middle mister idolizes the big one, there is no way he is getting a "High School Musical" anything.

Yesterday during our grueling day of uniform shopping and haircuts, my middle mister found the backpack of his dreams. Since the price tag read $41.00 he got the thumbs down and pouted for a good half hour. Also, the backpack was fit for a college student and hung down past his buns when the straps were set at the smallest length.

Today we must find the perfect backpack with the perfect price tag, otherwise, some seven year old is going to be stuck with his last years model or one with "Dora the Explorer." Wouldn't that be disgraceful?

Comments

Shana said…
I feel your pain. Just did the backpack shopping extravaganza with my nine year old girl and all I can say is, when did backpacks start costing $40-$60 for anything that looks like it MIGHT not fall apart by winter break? And when did toting a "character" or "theme" backpack become a fate worse than death?
Sarah Markley said…
i went to the chick's sale. luckily, my girl doesn't care.

yet.