My Cubical Life


I have never done time in a cubical. As a school teacher the classroom was always my office. As an author my office is my kitchen counter, the dining room, my bedroom, and everything in between.

Working in a cubical is taking some getting used to. I cannot see anyone from where I am sitting, but I can hear everything.

I know all about the life of those around me yet I cannot tell you their name. I know what they do all day at work, but have no idea where they live.

I know that one girl isn't good with directions and likes to saunter around visiting with people. Another guy wears headphones which probably soothe him with music to drown out the silence.

The older gentlemen down the way just had his wife visit him with their two twin granddaughters. They were going shopping and getting some lunch.

Another guy calls someone honey, but I don't know who that is, and the young guy on the other side and down a bit likes to eat Hot Pockets for lunch.

I keep to myself, ducking inside a empty "real" office to hold my phone conversations. I'm quiet yet restless while I type and read. I am next to two empty cubicles and at the end of my row is an empty "board room." People smile if they have to pass by but no one ever introduces themselves.

Tomorrow I am going to make some new friends. Instead of just them asking random questions like. "Do you know who is preaching on Sunday? or What is the name of the printer in this area?" I will start with, "Hi, I'm Linda. I work with regional campus launches. What is your name?" I think that is more friendly than just pretending that I am an introverted soul who doesn't ask questions, is non-relational, and quiet. Tomorrow I will venture out of my cubical and become more involved with office life.

Wish me luck. As if luck has anything to do with, well, anything.

Comments

Melodee said…
You don't need luck. Everyone will love you!
Sometimes I have to force myself to pretend to be an outgoing Linda. I'm totally relating to all of your co-worker descriptions (by the way, don't mention your blog unless you want co-workers reading it). This is one reason why "The Offce" is a favorite. Of course real co-workers aren't as extreme as those TV characters, but sometimes .... :)